The Center of Excellence on Sustainable Agricultural Intensification and Nutrition (CE SAIN) is looking for a dynamic and passionate candidate to join our team under a collaborative project “Appropriate Scale Mechanization Consortium¾ASMC” aiming to introduce multifunctional and modular mechanized technologies that are technically, environmentally, and economically appropriate for use by smallholder farmers with the flexibility to accommodate different power sources.
The Center of Excellence on Sustainable Agricultural Intensification and Nutrition (CE SAIN) aims to foster private sector innovation, agricultural research, education and training, and public-sector capacity building through improved collaboration and knowledge sharing focusing on enhancing food and nutritional security in Cambodia. Founded in 2016 by the Royal University of Agriculture and Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Collaborative Research on Sustainable Intensification at Kansas State University through the support from USAID, CE SAIN has been implementing various programs and projects to capture best management practices and promote expertise, innovations in agriculture, food security and nutrition as well as engage with the private sector to promote agricultural entrepreneurship through partnership with national and internal entities.
Based on the expansion of our activities, CE SAIN is looking for a dynamic and passionate candidate to join our team under a collaborative project “Appropriate Scale Mechanization Consortium¾ASMC”
Position Title : Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)
Location : Royal University of Agriculture (Phnom Penh) with travel to provinces
Reporting : Agricultural Technical Advisor and Center Director
Citizenship : Cambodian
Stipend : 300$/month (Tuition fee and research costs will be covered.)
Contract : two years
Summary: The ASMC project aims to introduce multifunctional and modular mechanized technologies that are technically, environmentally, and economically appropriate for use by smallholder farmers with the flexibility to accommodate different power sources. These technologies will contribute to enhanced labor productivity and increased land productivity, thus sustainably reducing poverty among smallholders. The overall objective of this project is to intensify smallholder farmers’ cropping systems and on-farm operations through mechanization in a sustainable manner. Sustainable intensification will integrate social, economic and environmental impacts with a specific focus on easing the burden on women. Within the scopes of this project, the GRA is responsible for developing and implementing activities to address research questions including 1) How can we engage women in farming households in conservation agriculture cropping system practices? and/or 2) How can we engage women as service providers for providing conservation agriculture service packages? This position is designed to foster young researchers and gives the successful applicant the opportunity to pursue a Master’s Degree.
Specific roles and responsibilities:
- Conduct baseline study to identify potential pathway to engage women as early adopters of conservation agriculture practices.
- Assess current understanding of women on conservation agriculture practices and their gaps of knowledge.
- Support in developing and implementing suitable multi-stage trainings for women in target household.
- Conduct mid-term and endline survey to measure the impact of trainings and interventions.
- Report and communicate the study results in seminars, workshops, conferences, and scientific publications.
- Participate in ASMC partner meetings in-person and remotely.
- Provide support to CE SAIN’s activities as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in social science or agriculture-related disciplines
- Good understanding of conservation agriculture practices and innovations
- Knowledge and working experience in social survey and impact assessment
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analyses
- Good interpersonal, negotiation, facilitation and time management skills
- Good communication skills both oral and written (English and Khmer).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their current resume, cover letter, and academic interest referring the position applied by closing date below to firstname.lastname@example.org.